Bioinforming the youth - Skopje
Participants: 13 undergraduate students
Trainers: Marco Anteghini, Lisanna Paladin and Francesco Gualdi
- Introduction to bioinformatics
- Introduction to Python
- Next generation sequencing (NGS)
- Pairwise sequence alignment
- Sequence database search
- Multiple sequence alignment
- Introduction to different omics
- Differential gene expression
- DNA-based species identification
4. Protein structure analysis
- Structure determination
- Basics of protein structure
- Protein structure prediction
- Protein structure visualization, comparison and classification
- Basics of intermolecular interactions
- Protein-ligand docking
- Virtual screening for drug design
- Introduction to genetic variation and Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium
- Basics of genome-wide association study
* Career and Erasmus+ opportunities
This training school has made me look at my future career in a brighter way. All the chances bioinformatics provides, play a crucial role in our future research and in pursuing different career paths in a more digital way.
The material that we learned was very well explained. The trainers were very friendly and approachable which made asking them questions about what I didn't understand super easy. I know that a lot of what I learned here is going to be useful in my career. This training school also gave me the chance to hang out with people from different Balkan ethnicities, something that I haven't had the opportunity to do before and that I enjoyed very much.
The entire event was a wonderful experience and I am hoping to be able to be a part of a similar project by this organization again. Hopefully, there will be a lot more in the near future, perhaps with many different (general and specific) topics and for a much wider audience as I am sure there is no lack of interest in such events.
Mother Teresa University (provided space and necessary equipment) and Western Balkans Fund (provided funding)Western Balkans Fund Regional Grant Scheme is co-funded by the European Union, IPA – Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance.