Bioinforming the youth - Novi Sad
Participants: 23 undergraduate students
Trainers: Selle Bandstra, Clelia Cortile and Ivan Bakšić
- Introduction to bioinformatics
- Introduction to Python
- Next generation sequencing (NGS)
- Pairwise sequence alignment
- Sequence database search
- Multiple sequence alignment
- Introduction to different omics
- Differential gene expression
- DNA-based species identification
- Structure determination
- Basics of protein structure
- Protein structure prediction
- Protein structure visualization, comparison and classification
- Basics of intermolecular interactions
- Protein-ligand docking
- Virtual screening for drug design
- Introduction to bio(medical) image analysis
- Basics of bioimage analysis
* Career and Erasmus+ opportunities
Experience and knowledge gained during this training school was precious, given that in Serbia we don't have the opportunity to learn about bioinformatics. The lecturers were extremely nice, patient and willing to share their experience and useful advice.
This was a great opportunity for learning basic concepts of bioinformatics. The teachers were lovely and really made an effort to explain all of the topics.
It was an experience positive enough to make me reconsider my already set interests and perhaps pursue a path of bioinformatics. Thank you all for an amazing week.
The lecturers were really knowledgeable and pleasant and I adored the vibe on this seminar. This was a perfect place to make mistakes and learn. I hope to be part of similar projects in the future.
Higher Education Technical School of Professional Studies in Novi Sad (provided space and necessary equipment), EduSmart (helped with organization and promotion) and Western Balkans Fund (provided funding)Western Balkans Fund Regional Grant Scheme is co-funded by the European Union, IPA – Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance.