Participants: 13 high school students (7 in-person and 6 online)
Trainers: Katarina Elez, Selle Bandstra and Clelia Cortile
Online support: Marco Anteghini and Ivan Bakšić
- Introduction to bioinformatics
- Basics of molecular biology and genetics
- Introduction to Python
- Next generation sequencing (NGS)
- Introduction to different omics
- Differential gene expression
- Pairwise sequence alignment
- Sequence database search
- Multiple sequence alignment
- Structure determination
- Basics of protein structure
- Protein structure prediction
- Protein structure visualization, comparison and classification
- Basics of intermolecular interactions
- Protein-ligand docking
- Virtual screening for drug design
* Career and Erasmus+ opportunities
* Introduction to AI and ethical concerns
I really enjoyed the theoretical lectures, they had the perfect ratio of advanced and necessary information. The topics were very interesting and the lecturers did an excellent job at explaining everything I didn't understand. I enjoyed the friendly environment. The practical lessons were at first difficult for me, but with each day I got more used to the pace of learning Python.
I loved every bit - how exhausting it was the first day, how I gradually understood more and more and how I found out about science-jobs and their goals.
My favorite part about this training school was definitely meeting new people and learning so much. It was such a great opportunity to connect with others who share similar interests and expand my knowledge in bioinformatics.
I loved it! It broke down programming for me, which I had a big fear of (I had 0 knowledge of it and was always afraid to try to learn it), and made it something fun and actually accessible. It taught me amazing things in biology on the topics I already liked in school and made them even more interesting.