Participants: 18 high school students (8 in-person and 10 online)
Trainers: Katarina Elez, Selle Bandstra and Marco Anteghini
- Introduction to bioinformatics
- Basics of molecular biology and genetics
- Basics of Unix OS
- Next Generation Sequencing (NGS)
- Pairwise sequence alignment
- Sequence database search
- Multiple sequence alignment
- Introduction to different omics
- Differential gene expression
- DNA-based species identification
* Career and Erasmus+ opportunities
4. Protein structure analysis
- Structure determination
- Basics of protein structure
- Protein structure prediction
- Protein structure visualization, comparison and classification
- Introduction to bio(medical) image analysis
- Basics of Python
- Basics of bioimage analysis
Everything was really great and interesting, especially the part where we were able to work in pairs and solve the mystery case.
It was more interesting and easier for me to follow the part associated strictly to biology, because I'm not a big fan of informatics and programming, but it helped me make my mind about my faculty choice and I am satisfied and thankful to the organisers because I spent the last 5 days very usefully.
I really appreciate how amazingly this training school was organized and even though I was online I could talk and collaborate with other participants. Thank you Katarina, Selle and Marco for such enjoyable lectures and explaining everything we didn't understand.
I have already had experience with science schools, but none of them was as much useful, meaningful and well planned. We got the most out of these 5 days for sure! We got the essential information needed in order to deal with an interesting topic like bioinformatics, but also had many chances to apply and check that knowledge!